THE ROCKET BLOG #3: KALNICA BIKE FEST - SLOVAKIA

 

THE ROCKET BLOG #3: KALNICA BIKE FEST - SLOVAKIA



Night-time Whip-offs have become a classic show in Bike Park Kalnica. Photo: Lukas Neasi


I first visited the famous Slovakian bike park, known for its progressive and technical jump lines, last year. Bike Park Kalnica is a special place, where the feeling of the freeride community can be felt as soon as you arrive and park your car. The park is managed and built by passionate local freeriders who have not yet subdued to the family-friendly flow-line trend, which has manifested almost in all western well-known bike parks. The park is built by freeriders for freeriders and this idea is felt in every single track in the park. On the other side, Kalnica Bike Fest is the biggest MTB bike festival in Slovakia and surrounding countries, which brings together all MTB disciplines, from Marathon to Slopestyle. The crowd, the atmosphere and good tracks convinced me to put this festival in my yearly calendar. This year I was participating in the pumptrack challenge and the Whip-off contest. 


Waiting for my qualifying round.


Despite taking time this off-season to practice more pump track riding, I still need to learn how to actually race pumptrack. One small mistake that costs 0,2 seconds and boom you're out of top 8 and not qualified. I was a bit disappointed but didn't think too much about it since I was also not familiar with this particular racing format. I was looking forward to Whip-Offs which is always my go-to discipline and also the crowd in Kalnica is roaring amazing.
      

Me and Natalia, the Queens of Kalnica Bike Fest Whip-Offs. Photo: Lukas Neasi


The Whip-Offs were a party on two-wheels: a loud, cheering crowd, chain saws and cow bells and amazing music. This year I wasn't the only girl throwing the bike sideways. Natalia Budner, a Polish freeride girl, joined me and we put up an amazing show together with the boys for the crowd. Since there was only two of us, the organiser decided to declare us both as winners and queens of the Kalnica Bike Fest Whip-Offs. 
The rest of the festival days I spent learning new tricks and practicing the ones I already know. Getting as much time as possible on the bike is crucial before the most important event of the year - Crankworx Innsbruck in Austria.


With love,

Špela Horvat a.k.a Pocket Rocket



UPCOMING EVENTS

MAY: KALNICA BIKE FEST

JUNE: CRANKWORX INNSBRUCK




SOCIAL MEDIA





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ROCKET BLOG #2: IXS DIRT MASTERS, WINTERBERG - GERMANY

THE ROCKET BLOG #4: CRANKWORX INNSBRUCK & GETTING INJURED