THE ROCKET BLOG #4: CRANKWORX INNSBRUCK & GETTING INJURED

 

THE ROCKET BLOG #4: CRANKWORX INNSBRUCK & GETTING INJURED



The event I was most proud about: Whip-offs at Crankworx in Innsbruck.


The Crankworx in Innsbruck was considered the most important event of the year for me. I was competing at Pumptrack, Speed & Style, Whip-offs and women's Slopestyle, and I was so proud of myself to make it that far in my career, where I could compete in invite-only competitions on one of the most important events in the world. Due to competing in so many disciplines at the same time, the practice schedule at Crankworx Innsbruck was pretty hectic and for me as a rookie rider in all of the freeride disciplines, it was hard to properly time-manage everything and set priorities. I admit, I did feel under pressure by not just ride on all practices but also to deliver my best. I had so much fun at speed & style practice, ticking off the course nicely and I was looking forward to the biggest event of my career, the Whip-offs.


The wait until you can move again, 1 week after the injury.


After taking the first look at the monster whip-off jump high up in the Austrian mountains, I decided to follow a fellow Slovenian rider, Boris Rezabek, over it. I cleared both jumps in my first try and I was absolutely stoked, because only a year ago I was standing among the crowd dreaming, that one day I could ride that jump with the best in the world. I had 6 to 7 successful jumping runs behind me, after it all went sour and I crashed on the in-run jump before the main whip-off jump. I don't remember the crash itself, as I've hit my head pretty bad and got a bit KOd. After being admitted to the hospital in Innsbruck, I learned that I've broken my left ankle and that surgery will be the best option for the most optimal recovery. Three days later I had surgery in Ljubljana at the University Hospital.


3 weeks on crutches, not an easy task.


It's always hard to predict a comeback after such injuries but things are looking very optimistic with my rehab and it's pretty realistic for me to return to proper MTB riding between 6 to 8 weeks after my surgery. I'm currently in my 5th week and I'm doing progressive physiotherapy with my kinesiologist and manual therapist. I already returned back to the gym and doing easy rides on my Pivot Shuttle SL e-bike. Me and my team are doing everything to get me back in the saddle as soon as possible and I can't wait to return to where I belong ... in the mountains.

I will keep you posted about my recovery on here and on social media :)



4 weeks after surgery: back doing easy rider on my Pivot Shuttle SL e-bike.



With love,

Špela Horvat a.k.a Pocket Rocket



UPCOMING EVENTS

TO BE CONTINUED ...




SOCIAL MEDIA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ROCKET BLOG #3: KALNICA BIKE FEST - SLOVAKIA

THE ROCKET BLOG #2: IXS DIRT MASTERS, WINTERBERG - GERMANY